Shop Safe & Smart – Tips for Shopping Online on Cyber Monday
For some shoppers, the only thing holding them up from shopping online on Cyber Monday is security. It is a known fact that there can be risks. To minimize those risks and have a safe shopping experience, here are some tips from the Wise Guys for shopping online safely:
- Don’t click links in E-mails. Instead, open up your Web browser and enter the URL to the site offering the discounts you’re looking for and do a search for the items yourself.
- Don’t click on web ads. Stick with e-commerce sites you know are real. Go directly to those websites.
- If it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Check out the retailer before you purchase. Many legitimate retailers offering Cyber Monday deals are listed in the National Retail Federation’s list of legitimate retailers.
- Make sure the check out page is a secure page. Web pages that use SSL (secure sockets layer) security begins with “https://” and not “http://.” Most browsers will also show a lock icon in the corner of the browser window.
- Only pay for online purchases with a credit card as opposed to a wire transfer or other non-plastic payment method. That way you can dispute the charge if it is a scam.
- Make sure that you’re operating system and antivirus software are up-to-date with the latest security patches and other updates. You should also use a modern web browser such as the latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
- Beware of using free Wi-Fi, especially if a retailer is offering a free gift when using their Wi-Fi. Use VPN software (virtual private network) on your phone, or stick to your cellular connection.
- Use the same credit card for all of your holiday shopping. Never use your debit card, and check your bank account often (using a secure site).
- Download Apps directly from the verified site that the App is for. Numerous fake Apps are developed by scammers offered online hoping you install it and give them all of your personal financial information. You’ll shop and shop not knowing any better until you never receive anything you order. Talk about a grinch!
Cyber Monday Statistics
Since 2015, Cyber Monday has beat out Black Friday shopping sales. For many retailers, a strong online sales season can make the whole year a success, while a weak holiday sales season can spell disaster. This year Cyber Monday is anticipated to be a huge winner in overall sales.
Here are some statistics to consider:
- Cyber Monday sales hit 3.19 billion dollars in 2015.
- Cyber Monday sales averaged $123.43 per order.
- While shopping on mobile devices increased 53%, the highest percentage of sales still come from desktop computers.
- Smartphone sales are higher than tablet sales by 3%.
- Female shoppers edged out male shoppers 59% to 41% with the 35-55 year old age group containing the highest number of shoppers spending the most amount of money.
- While there were more at-home shoppers (by a narrow margin), the shoppers at work spent on average more money.
- iOS users accounted for more than 3 times as many sales as Android users (21% vs 6%).
- The number of orders placed by shoppers in China on Cyber Monday increased 78% from last year.
If you have a list of items to purchase, Cyber Monday is a great time to go ahead and purchase them. Most retailers offer free shipping, so the bargains are all that much better. It is also a great opportunity to purchase something for yourself!
If you miss out on Cyber Monday, mark your calendar for Green Monday sales (usually the 2nd Monday in December). This sale date is often associated with the last day you can order items and not pay for rush shipping (if free shipping isn’t offered) in order to receive it by Christmas day.
Every day is Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Green Monday at Capone’s. This year, be sure to purchase a dinner show gift card. They make great stocking stuffers! Everyone loves a night out that includes a great dinner and a wonderful show. An evening with the gang is an easy way to please nearly anyone on your list. Be sure to make your reservation before January 1st and enjoy the special holiday show. It is a blast!
Happy shopping! Oh, and Al says…“Get back to work!”
Have you signed up for Al’s Family notifications? Only relevant news is shared. Capone’s won’t flood your inbox with nonsense. When specials do come up, it is one of the best ways to be notified and to stay in touch with the gang. Sign up below (in the footer area of this web page).