Listed in this article are common and not-so-common tips to beat the Florida heat. Visitors think that because they come from an area where 90+ temperatures are common, the Florida heat will not be an issue. What they don’t know is Florida’s heat is different. They arrive in Orlando for vacation and are often caught off guard.
In Florida, hot days combined with high humidity, can create a dangerous situation. Perspiration cannot evaporate and cool the body effectively, which can lead to heat-related illnesses, such as heat exhaustion or stroke. Heat-related illnesses can even lead to death. Elderly people, small children, or persons who are on certain medications, overweight, or have an alcohol habit are particularly vulnerable to heat stress.
Keep Yourself Cool by Following These Common Tips to Beat the Florida Heat
- Drink plenty of water, even if you are not thirsty. Avoid dehydrating beverages such as alcohol, coffee, tea, or soda.
- Dress appropriately – Wear light colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Avoid the midday heat. It is hottest between noon and 4pm, so those are great times to enjoy indoor activities when possible. Limit vigorous activities during this time.
- Eat light. Avoid heavy meals, and try to eat items with high water content, such as fruit or salad.
- Wear a white hat or carry an umbrella. Blocking the sun’s harmful rays will keep you cooler and will help prevent sunburn.
- Use “cool” gadgets, such as personal mister fans, a thermal-cool neck wrap, or just a spray bottle to mist your face.
- Seek Air Conditioning!
- Take plenty of baths or showers. Water conducts heat away from the body, so a tepid rinse is a great cooling technique.
- Enjoy water play. Whether it is the ocean, your hotel pool, a water park, or an interactive splash fountain… enjoy playing in the water wherever you are.
- Wear sunscreen. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than getting a severe sunburn on the first day.
Theme Park Tips
You’ve planned your summer vacation and want to get the most out of your theme park tickets. That is understandable. You’ve read the above tips and think you are prepared. Still, you wish you knew a few more tips to beat the Florida heat while at the theme parks. They include:
- Get to the parks early. If staying on property and can enjoy more than one day at the theme park, go back to your accommodations during the heat of the day. Return after 4pm and enjoy the rest of the afternoon and evening.
- See the shows. Many are under cover if not within air conditioning. Alternate between a ‘hot’ attraction and a ‘cool’ show.
- Select rides and attractions wisely. Know which ones are indoor and out. Know what the common wait lines are during the summer. Plan well. Here are some cooler suggestions:
– Magic Kingdom’s Space Mountain in Tomorrowland; Splash Mountain (even though the wait is long)
– Universal Orlando’s indoor rides include Transformers: The Ride in 3-D; Simpsons ride and Terminator. Jurassic Park: The Ride may have a long wait, but is sure to cool you off
– SeaWorld Orlando’s Arctic Encounter, Sharks Encounter and Antarctica Empire of the Penguin
Water Parks & the Beach
Orlando Water Parks are great at keeping everyone entertained and cool. Read about each one in our water park listing. As long as you remember your sunscreen, hat and a light-colored cover-up, you’ll be sure to have a great day in the Florida sun. Do remember, however, that afternoon storms are very common and your day of fun could be cut short. INSIDER’S TIP: It is worth noting that the coastal sea breezes are often the cause of the storms. They meet in the middle of the state and cause lightning and rain. An alternate day of water fun can be found at the beach! While it may be raining in Orlando (nearly every day in the summer), it is often not raining on the coast. Going to the beach is an inexpensive, great way to spend a day in Florida.
Alternatives That Are Fun in Any Type of Weather
Orlando is full of many attractions and fun things to do. Whether it is nice outside or hot, check out these not-so-common ways to beat the Florida heat:
- Orlando Science Center – fun for all ages
- Go to a Museum – we have listed many in our museum listing
- Go Shopping – Outlets and Malls are fun and great deals await
Remember, Capone’s Dinner & Show is open every evening in AIR CONDITIONING! It is a great way to spend an evening after being on your feet all day. For over 2 hours, you can eat, drink and be happy – – – and cool! So stop by early and have an ice cold beverage at the Four Deuces Lounge and stay for the show. It’s a blast from the past – and cool too!
This post was originally written June 2, 2010 and has been updated for your information.