Independence Day, the Fourth of July, commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. As a federal holiday, people all over our nation will celebrate with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, family reunions and various other public and private events.
Banks and public offices will be closed, but theme parks and other businesses will be bustling with activity. Boston may have their Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular; Washington DC will hold its notorious event on the National Mall, however, there are plenty of places to celebrate July 4th right here in the Central Florida/Orlando area. Below is a listing of some of the area’s events:
- Red, White and Zoo; July 02, 2011 – July 04, 2011 at the Central Florida Zoo: Celebrate the Fourth of July and the Central Florida Zoo’s 36th birthday with live music, games, food, children’s crafts, face painting, magic and animal encounters.
- Fireworks at the Fountain; July 04, 2011 at Lake Eola: Celebrate United States independence at this free fireworks display and laser show around Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. Pack your picnic baskets, bring a blanket and head out to Lake Eola for an old-fashioned summertime picnic. There will be live entertainment, food and a special play area for kids.
- Fourth of July at Celebration Town Center; July 04, 2011 at Celebration Town Center: Celebration Town Center celebrates the 4th of July with a parade, live music and fireworks.
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth; July 04, 2011 at Epcot Theme Park: IllumiNations is a 14-minute show of pyrotechnics, lasers, water and music, which are all used to tell the story about the past, present and future of our planet. On July 4, the show’s theme will be “The Heartbeat of Freedom”, an overture of traditional American themes.
- Stars & Stripes Celebration; July 02, 2011 at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort: The Walt Disney World wan and Dolphin Resort is serving up an old-fashioned cookout during Fourth of July weekend, featuring all-you-can eat BBQ, live music and carnival games with prizes. There will also be planty of activities for families throughout the day, including face painting, a pie-eating contest and water balloon toss.
- Independence Day at SeaWorld Orlando; July 04, 2011 at SeaWorld Orlando: As part of Summer Nights at SeaWorld, the 13th Army Band, Florida National Guard will perform at Bayside Stadium prior to the fireworks finale. This 40-piece band, known as the Governor’s Own Band, will entertain the audience with classic and current tunes, gearing them up for the special Fourth of July “Reflections show featuring additional fireworks timed to patriotic music. The performance begins at 9:45 p.m. and is included in park admission.
- Independence Day at Universal Orlando Resort; July 04, 2011 at Universal Studios Florida: Guests can enjoy a special version of the popular Universal 360: A Cinesphere Spectacular, a cinematic adventure that combines cutting-edge projection technology with lasers and pyrotechnics to bring movies to life like you’ve never seen before.
- Rockin’ Fourth of July Celebration; July 04, 2011 at Walt Disney World Resort’s® Hollywood Studios: The musical group Mulch, Sweat and Shears take guests on a musical road trip across America that highlights each region’s contribution to rock ‘n roll. The show is complete with fireworks, lighting and special effects.
- Disney’s Celebrate America! A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky; July 03, 2011 – July 04, 2011 at Walt Disney World Resort’s® Magic Kingdom: Walt Disney World Resort® presents a patriotic fireworks show paying homage to the hopes and dreams of America’s forefathers. Also at Disney is Voices of Liberty 4th of July Concert; July 04, 2011: A live concert and meet-and-greet with Benjamin Franklin, Betsy Ross and Disney characters adorned in patriotic dress.
What if you just don’t like loud fireworks, don’t want to fight the crowds, but still want to enjoy a great evening out in the Orlando area on the Fourth of July? Capone’s Dinner & Show offers a Fourth of July show at 8:00pm and on this national holiday, we are offering each paid guest a free gift! You could stay home and watch the masses celebrate America’s birthday like 7 million other people do, go out and fight the crowds at an area celebration or theme park; or you could treat yourself to a great dinner show. Celebrate your independence anyway you’d like. After all, this is a freedom we are celebrating on this day – the right to make our own choice.